Cell therapy; Bone, Cartilage and Muscle tissue engineering; Growth plate regeneration; Osteogenesis imperfecta and other rare genetic bone disorders.
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery) - Christian Medical College, Vellore, University of Madras, India - May 1981
- Diploma in Orthopaedics - Christian Medical College, Vellore,University of Madras, India - March 1985.
- MS (Master of Surgery) in Orthopaedics - Christian Medical College, Vellore, University of Madras, India - March 1986
- MCh Orthopaedics - University of Liverpool, UK - December 1994
Musculoskeletal regeneration program Our lab focuses on regenerative strategies using cell-based and cell free therapy for musculoskeletal disorders.
The major focus is on clinical translations related to physis, articular cartilage and bone regeneration. For articular cartilage regeneration small and large animal studies have been completed with differentiated MSCs with either growth factors or miRNA on indigenous scaffolds with successful outcome (DST). There is a new focus on using biomolecules on scaffold for regeneration with in vitro studies completed and ongoing large animal studies for segmental bone defect and osteochondral defects (Indo-Danish, DBT). The continued follow up for pilot human physeal regeneration with culture expanded autologous chondrocytes has shown success at 6 years and patient recruitment for phase 1 clinical trial is under progress (DHR). We have also achieved success in physeal regeneration using hydrogel scaffolds in large animal model. A first of its kind pilot study on human bone defect regeneration study with tissue engineered bone has been completed with a follow up of 2.5 to 4.5 years and further preclinical work is ongoing in the area of bone regeneration using biomolecules. A phase I/II clinical trial, Boost to Brittle Bones has been initiated in collaboration with Karolinska Institutet, Sweden for the treatment of osteogenesis imperfecta (OI) using fetal liver mesenchymal stem cells (Indo-Swedish, DBT); a parallel study is being conducted for screening genetic heterogeneity in children with OI (ICMR). A new pilot study for the treatment of urinary incontinence using autologous muscle derived cells has been approved (ICMR). Under international collaboration the work on non-invasive manipulation of physeal cartilage and muscle derived stem stem cell for anal sphincter repair continues.
Dr. Lakshmi. S
Research Interests: Osteogenesis imperfecta and other rare genetic bone disorders
Education: MBBS – Pondicherry University
Dr. Venkatesh. S
Research Interests: Growth plate regeneration, osteosarcoma.
Education: M.Sc Biochemistry – Madras University, PhD – Christian Medical College, Vellore
Dr. Karthikeyan Rajagopal
Research Interests: Articular Cartilage and muscle tissue engineering using cell-scaffold constructs; RNAi technology.
Education: M.Sc Biotechnology - PSG, Coimbatore, PhD – Christian Medical College, Vellore.
Mr. Ashis Kumar. S
Research Associate (PhD student)
Research Interests: Cell-free therapeutic approaches for bone, cartilage and muscle tissue engineering; Mutational analysis of genes in Hereditary Multiple Exostoses.
Education: M.Sc Biotechonology – Loyala, Chennai.
Ms. Sowmya Ramesh
Research Associate (PhD student)
Research Interests: Non-invasive manipulation of growth manipulation using shock wave technology, bone tissue engineering using cell-scaffold construct.
Education: B.Tech Bioengineering – SASTRA University, Tanjore.
Mrs.Agnes Selina. S
Junior Research Fellow
Research Interests: Mutational analysis of genes in Osteogenesis Imperfecta and other rare bone disorders.
Education: M.Sc Biomedical Genetics – VIT University, Vellore.
Mrs. Renita Raymond
Senior Research Nurse
Research Interests: Quality of Children in Osteogenesis imperfecta
Education: M.Sc Nursing – Christian Medical College, Vellore.
Mrs. Vastchala Newton
Research Interests: Growth plate regeneration (clinical).
Education: B.Sc Nursing – Christian Medical College, Vellore.
Ms. Saritha Evangeline. R
Research Interests: Growth Urinary incontinence (clinical).
Education: B.Sc Nursing PSG, Coimbatore.
Ms. Suhasini. G
Research Interests: Good Clinical Practice.
Education: M.Pharm – Madras Medical College, Chennai.
Vignesh Kumar. S
Senior Medical Lab Technician
Research Interests: Quality control in clinical-grade cells
Education: B.Sc MLT – Christian Medical College, Vellore.
- Karthikeyan Rajagopal, Sowmya Ramesh, Noel Malcolm Walter, Aditya Arora, Dhirendra S. Katti, and Vrisha Madhuri. In vivo cartilage regeneration in a multi-layered articular cartilage architecture mimicking scaffold. Bone & Joint Research 2020 9:9, 601-612.
- Vrisha Madhuri, Agnes Selina, Lakshmi Loganathan, Ashis Kumar, Vignesh Kumar, Renita Raymond, Sowmya Ramesh, Nimmy Vincy, Giftson Joel, Deeptiman James, Madhavi Kandagaddala, Antonisamy B. Osteogenesis imperfecta: Novel genetic variants and clinical observations from a clinical exome study of 54 Indian patients. Ann Hum Genet . 2020 Aug 7. doi: 10.1111/ahg.12403.
- Sowmya Ramesh, Lars Sävendahl, Vrisha Madhuri, Farasat Zaman. Radial shock waves prevent growth retardation caused by the clinically used drug vismodegib in ex vivo cultured bones. Sci Rep . 2020 Aug 7;10(1):13400. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-69904-0.
- Madhuri V, Ramesh S, Varma H, Sivadasan SB, Sahoo B, John A, Fernandez F, Rajagopal K, Mathews V, Balakumar B, Dinesh VD, Chilbule SK, Gibikote S, Srivastava A; Bone Defect Study Group. First Report of a Tissue-Engineered Graft for Proximal Humerus Gap Non-union After Chronic Pyogenic Osteomyelitis in a Child: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connect. 2020 Jan-Mar;10(1):e0031. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.CC.19.00031. PMID: 32224678.
- Rajagopal K, Ramesh S, Madhuri V. Early Addition of Parathyroid Hormone- Related Peptide Regulates the Hypertrophic Differentiation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Cartilage. 2020 Jan 2:1947603519894727. doi: 10.1177/1947603519894727. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 31896268.
- Ramesh S, Zaman F, Madhuri V, SÃ¤vendahl L. Radial Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment Promotes Bone Growth and Chondrogenesis in Cultured Fetal Rat Metatarsal Bones. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020 Mar;478(3):668-678. doi:10.1097/CORR.0000000000001056. PMID: 31794485; PMCID: PMC7145076.
- Shyamasundar LG, Loganathan L, Kumar A, Selina A, Madhuri V. MATN3 Mutation Causing Spondyloepimetaphyseal Dysplasia. Indian J Pediatr. 2020 Mar;87(3):227-228. doi: 10.1007/s12098-019-03100-5. Epub 2019 Nov 14. PMID:31724101
- Balakumar B, Jasper A, Livingstone RS, Gangadharan S, Gibikote S, Madhuri V. Can Pixel Value Ratio be Used in the Assessment of Ceramic Bone Substitute Incorporation? Observations from a Pilot Study. Pol J Radiol. 2017 Nov 17;82:706-712. doi: 10.12659/PJR.903022. PMID: 29657637; PMCID: PMC5894053.
- Shah H, Joseph B, Nair BVS, Kotian DB, Choi IH, Richards BS, Johnston C,Madhuri V, Dobbs MB, Dahl M. What Factors Influence Union and Refracture of Congenital Pseudarthrosis of the Tibia? A Multicenter Long-term Study. J Pediatr Orthop. 2018 Jul;38(6):e332-e337. doi: 10.1097/BPO.0000000000001172. PMID: 29664876.
- Madhuri V, Mathew SE, Rajagopal K, Ramesh S, Antonisamy B. Does pamidronate enhance the osteogenesis in mesenchymal stem cells derived from fibrous hamartoma in congenital pseudarthrosis of the tibia? Bone Rep. 2016 Oct 14;5:292-298. doi: 10.1016/j.bonr.2016.10.003. PMID: 28580399; PMCID:PMC5440779.
- Balakumar B, Rajagopal K, Madhuri V. Bone marrow extract as a growth supplement for human iliac apophyseal chondrocyte culture. Indian J Med Res. 2016 Dec;144(6):831-837. doi: 10.4103/ijmr.IJMR_8_15. PMID: 28474620; PMCID: PMC5433276.
- Madhuri V, Santhanam M, Rajagopal K, Sugumar LK, Balaji V. WISP3 mutational analysis in Indian patients diagnosed with progressive pseudorheumatoid dysplasia and report of a novel mutation at p.Y198. Bone Joint Res. 2016 Jul;5(7):301-6. doi: 10.1302/2046-3758.57.2000520. PMID: 27436824; PMCID: PMC4957178.
- Madhuri V, Santhanam M, Sugumar LK, Rajagopal K, Chilbule SK. Classical and atypical Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva in India. Ann Hum Genet. 2015 Jul;79(4):245-52. doi: 10.1111/ahg.12112. Epub 2015 Jun 9. PMID: 26058333.
- Mathew SE, Santhanam M, Madhuri V. Interferon-Induced Transmembrane Protein 5 Mutation Causing Type-V Osteogenesis Imperfecta: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connect. 2015 Feb 25;5(1):e15-e6. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.CC.N.00122. PMID: 29252448.
- Ramesh S, Rajagopal K, Vaikkath D, Nair PD, Madhuri V. Enhanced encapsulation of chondrocytes within a chitosan/hyaluronic acid hydrogel: a new technique. Biotechnol Lett. 2014 May;36(5):1107-11. doi:10.1007/s10529-014-1461-1. Epub 2014 Feb 22. PMID: 24563294.
- Balakumar B, Babu S, Varma HK, Madhuri V. Triphasic ceramic scaffold in paediatric and adolescent bone defects. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2014 Mar;23(2):187-95. doi: 10.1097/BPB.0000000000000004. PMID: 24201074.
- Rajagopal K, Chilbule SK, Madhuri V. Viability, proliferation and phenotype maintenance in cryopreserved human iliac apophyseal chondrocytes. Cell Tissue Bank. 2014 Mar;15(1):153-63. doi: 10.1007/s10561-013-9387-8. Epub 2013 Aug 11. PMID: 23934174.
- Rajagopal K, Dutt V, Manickam AS, Madhuri V. Chondrocyte source for cartilage regeneration in an immature animal: Is iliac apophysis a good alternative? Indian J Orthop. 2012 Jul;46(4):402-6. doi:10.4103/0019-5413.98828. PMID: 22912514; PMCID: PMC3421929.
"Photos will be updated soon."
"Contents will be updated soon."
- University of Southern Denmark: Dr.Henrik Daa Schrøder & Prof. Moustafa Kaseem
- Karolinska University Hospital, Sweden: Prof. Lars Sävendahl, Dr. Cecilia Götherström
National collaboration (Both Inter and intra-institutional collaboration):
- Jyotsana Dhawan, CCMB, Hyderabad
- Dr. Prabha D.Nair & Dr. Harikrishna Varma
- Drs. Nihal Thomas & Thomas Paul, Endocrinology
- Dr. Sukriya Nayak, General Surgery
- Dr.Vikram Mathews, Haematology
- Dr.Madhavi. K& Dr.Shyam, Radiology
- Drs.Alok Srivastava& Srujan Marepally, CSCR
- Dr.Dolly Daniel, Transfusion medicine& Immunohematology
- Dr.Antonisamy, Biostatistics